CASE REVIEW- PRIVATE RESIDENCE – NORTHWESTERN, WISCONSIN
The residence was built in 1912 as a schoolhouse and moved to the current location in 1930. The client has lived in the home for three years, and had her first paranormal experience (the sighting of a male apparition) on her third day there. The client has noticed activity since move in, but is not bothered by it. She has experienced paranormal activity in the past and has been told she is “sensitive.” Her 19-year-old daughter, moved in a few months ago, and activity has been more severe since then. The home has been in the same family for years, and the previous owner passed away in the house. Her bedroom is still intact with her bed and personal items.
Paranormal Activity Reported
· A one time sighting of an apparition standing in front of the kitchen sink. The apparition was that of a young man who looked directly at the client and seemed aware of her. She later saw a picture of the gentleman who used to own the home (Her boyfriend’s grandfather, Henry,) and feels that the apparition she saw was Henry.
· Both the client and her daughter have seen the silhouette of a person walking across what was once an enclosed porch.
· Things go missing only to reappear in their proper place at a later time.
· The client and a friend witnessed a black “ball of mist” which hovered and was sucked up into the ceiling.
· A friend who was performing construction on the home slept overnight and was awakened at 3am with a hard slap across the face.
· The daughter's bedroom upstairs has a latch-hook lock on the door, which often unlatches itself. She has witnessed the latch lift itself up noiselessly and swing free on its own. The client has tried to figure out a way that the latch could unhook on its own, and hasn’t been able to recreate it.
· A latch-hook lock on the outside of the door once locked visiting friends into the daughter's bedroom, when no one else was home.
· The lamp and television in the daughter's room turn themselves on and off, even after being unplugged.
· The client occasionally hears the sound of someone whistling.
The investigation took place on Friday, September 4, 2009 from approximately 9:30pm to 12:30am. Investigators Blaschka, Shaw and Spialek were present. Equipment used during the investigation included digital cameras, digital voice recorders, digital handheld recorder with night shot, Tri Field Electro Magnetic Field (EMF) meter and an infrared thermal probe.
The client and her daughter gave a tour of the residence, beginning with the area that used to be an enclosed back porch, where a person’s silhouette has been seen on two occasions, and ending in the upstairs bedroom with the latch-hook lock. A quick check of the lock showed that it was secure and not easily unhooked.
After the tour, temperature and EMF readings were taken. The upstairs bedroom had temperatures between 69 and 70 degrees F and EMF readings of 0 Milligauss. The first floor of the home was between 64 and 66 degrees F with EMF readings of 0 to 2 Milligauss. There were no anomalous readings.
After taking some pictures of the downstairs area, the investigation was focused on the upstairs bedroom. The investigators used a digital voice recorder to try to collect audio evidence of paranormal activity (Electronic Voice Phenomena or EVP.) A handheld digital recorder with night shot was focused on the latch-hook lock during the evp session.
A thorough evaluation of the door and latch-hook lock was done. The investigators found that if the latch was only half hooked it could be unhooked without opening the door if the right amount of pressure is put on the door from the outside (as may happen with a dog jumping up onto the door.) Hitting the door in this way made a loud banging noise however, and would not explain seeing the latch unhook while not hearing anything.
After the investigation, the client noted that she had heard someone whistle in her kitchen while the investigators were upstairs.
There were no anomalies found on video or in photographs. After reviewing the audio, three anomalous sounds were found. One sound appeared on two different digital voice recorders, and resembles the sound of a woman’s voice saying “Hi.” Another sounded quite a bit like the first, but was unintelligible. In the last, a very low unintelligible whisper is heard while investigators are asking questions during the evp session. While the investigators are unable to explain this audio, it is hard to say for certain what the sounds are.
*Any use or reproduction of this documentation is prohibited without the sole permission of Anji Spialek or the WPRS.